Saturday 7 March 2020

Wet and very cool

   Well what can one say? More rain and it is on the cool side. The vegetable beds are all but impossible to do anything with and by my own schedule I am now late with onions, shallots (for pickling) and parsnip seed. Not a disaster yet as it is still early but I really need the weather to be a little kinder for a few days. Famous last words. Decided to bite the bullet and planted out my Red Sun shallots. Still have the onions to do though.
    So what is to be done? I need to think more about sowing in the poly tunnel beds. Least that way I may (I say may because I have had mixed results with sowing seed in the poly tunnel) be able to stay ahead of the game as it were. Food for thought.
    Broad beans are in full flower although I have not noticed any beans set yet. My early purple sprouting is the best crop I have ever had in my years of vegetable gardening and I cannot eat it fast enough!. Over winter onions and garlic look a little drowned to be honest but they are hanging in there.
     Seed potatoes are chitting well and there are a good number of tomato seedlings. Sods law though the ones I would like to germinate so far have not!
      Chickens are being chickens. Usual weekly maintenance done. Mrs Brahma has finally decided that she is no longer broody and has started to lay again. Still getting five to eight eggs a day.
Chives in the poly tunnel

Provençal Thyme in the poly tunnel


No comments:

Post a Comment