Saturday 29 February 2020

Things are moving in the poly tunnel

    A few frosts over the last two weeks but nothing really serious. More rain of course! Reasonable amount of jobs done. 18Jour radish and Jack Ice lettuce are germinating in the poly tunnel. There is a bit of coriander coming up too. "Banana" shallots planted but I have failed to plant out the onion sets and my round  Red Sun shallots. That is now a priority job to get done. I have never grown banana shallots before. My usual shallot is a round one that I use for pickling. Finally got around to moving my well rotted compost heap into the poly tunnel and spread it over the long bed in there. Parsnips have been a disappointment this year with many "forking", that is, growing more than one root. Still, a reasonable number harvested over the winter and turned into soup or used in casseroles. One can still use a part of a forked parsnip. Couple more small white cabbage cut with only two left now but I still have the large winter cabbage! I have also been harvesting early purple sprouting which this winter has grown exceptionally well. Sowed some Bedforshire Champion onion seed. The few that made it last year were exceptional onions so I figure it is worth it for just a few to succeed. Managed to also get round to getting down the hop vine and prune the grape vine. Also a flowering vine cut back. 
   Usual chicken tasks carried out, that is, cleaning out the coops! The birds are still laying well. I have lost one to some critter so they are all currently under lock down.


Germinating tomato seed

Germinating 18Jour radish

No comments:

Post a Comment