Friday 20 March 2020

Basking in the sunshine

    Well I forgot to finish and publish this blog so there will be almost two weeks worth here now. France is in lockdown due to the corvid 19 outbreak. My eldest daughter and her children are with me and she is not allowing me to leave the premises! The weather has taken a turn for the better with sunshine and really nice day time temperatures. Spring has sprung and time to really get cracking in the garden.
    Finally I have managed to plant my Sturon onions sets. There was two relatively dry days and so I went for it and got them in. Had some help my my feathered friends, the chickens! Now I need to keep them off until the onions have rooted!
    The shallots have rooted and I have uncovered them. Of course the chickens took the opportunity to explore and scratch about. Fortunately not a lot of damage done as most were well rooted. Leeks, cabbage and lots of purple sprouting gathered. First early potatoes  (Dolween, Brittany) planted along with the help of my youngest grandson Toby! This is a variety I have not planted before. Started on planting the second earies, variety Agata, another type I have not grown before. Finally managed to sow own gathered parsnip seed and Touchon carrots. A little late by my usual timing but hey ho they are in! With the drier weather than meant another round of grass cutting.
    On the chick front nothing unusual just normal weekly tasks.

Chickens helping to prepare the onion set bed
Early purple sprouting

Banana shallot bed


No comments:

Post a Comment