Sunday 23 February 2020

Oh boy decisons...

    Well crunch time is close. Next week end (29/2 --01/03) weather permitting I will plant out my onion sets (variety Sturon) and shallot sets (variety Red Sun which are ones I pickle!).  Following last years success with a few Bedforshire Champion onions grown from seed (There were prehaps six very large onions that successfully grew). I have sown a half seed tray of Bedfordshire Champion onion seed. Lets hope the success is the same this year! The seed potatoes are chitting well in my dinning room loving the warm atmosphere. More preparation done to the long bed in the poly tunnel. Good compost added, more water and forked over. It will still require more water no doubt. I bought some "banana" shallots by mistake thinking that I would not be able to get the variety I prefer and so I have planted those this last week. Never grown these before but it seems that it is a preferred shallot for the French. Need to start thinking about sowing other seed but in reality I need to resist the temptation poly tunnel or not! Two more white  cabbage cut. These have been a good crop although on the small side which to be honest does not worry me but still, there were a good number of them. The chickens got one! They hollowed it out!. The first sowing of over winter broad beans are really in flower now as are the daffidols! The weeding continues and I swear the weeds are starting to grow more quickly. 
    Normal chicken coop maintenance done. The hens are still producing between eight and ten eggs a day and Mrs. Bramaha continues to pretend she has eggs to hatch although I think she is starting to come out of her brood spell.
   First sign of germinating tomatoes!


Andine Corne tomatos (pointy ones!)

Aurora bush type tomato

No comments:

Post a Comment