Sunday 9 February 2020

And they are off!

   And so it begins in earnest. The rain has held off. The ground has dried out a little and I have been shopping! Seed potatoes varities Desiree (usual main crop), Agata (a Dutch early variety new to me) and Dolween (Brittany, second early variety also new to me) and they are now set up in my dinning room chitting. I have had a go at clearing more weeds from my old daffidol patch but I fear the wet weather has destroyed a lot of the bulbs in this area. Those that were on higher ground and under the apple trees have faired better and are starting to come into bloom. Had a go at a small herb bed, cleared weeds and forked around. It will not be long and it will be time to start drying the thyme, marjoram, sage and rosemary. In the poly tunnel it is time to take chances and I have sown 18jour radish and Jack Ice lettuce under a cloche. I have also sown  coriander. I have also sown tomatoes which I will keep in the house and porch for now to help them geminate. Varities (Champeau seed) Jens Orange, Gardeners Delight, Poitron Ecarlate, Andine Cornue and REAL SEEDS varities Auroa ( a bush type) and Feode Riogordo (vine type). I have managed to dig up a couple of parnips but overall I have been disappointed in the crop with a lot of promising plants roots forking instead of being straight. I guess that is a problem with seed that one gathers oneself although it could be the richness of the soil. Oh well, I have had enough for my purposes. Oh yes my little friends that hollow out the root have also been active.
   So on we go the closer to March the more to be done!
 Standing water and this is on a slight slope

My feathered helpers.....

No comments:

Post a Comment