Friday 11 October 2019

All quiet

Oct 2019 wood delivery

Squash harvest various varieties this year
   Oh dear what can I say? The week has flown by and when I look back at my garden log what do I see? Nothing. Squat. White space. So what did I do this last week? Well I guess two days were taken up with moving and stacking the winter supply of wood for the wood burner. One day taken up grass cutting. Yes you read it right, grass cutting. After the rain the grass has gone from crispy brown to bright green and needing to be cut. Oh my poor hand! I have a blister in the middle of my left hand from cutting the grass. Usually by now my hand would have hardened up but of course the grass has not been cut for probably three months. Oh well. The other picture here is of my squash harvest and this is despite the drought. I did not water them at all. So there is Crown Prince, Kuri, Butternut, Long Island cheese. Do not ask me which is which because the weather destroyed the labels! Note to self get a better means on writing on labels next year. My pumpkins for halloween were a waste of space again because I did not water. In the poly tunnel everything is now done for bar some parsley and thyme. It has been a poor year. Outside the brassicas (summer cabbage, winter cabbage and early purple sprouting are all doing well! Looks like I will get some summer (laughable is it not?) cabbage after all. That will make up for the loss of my cauliflowers.
 Chickens are being chickens and are still laying two to three a day. Suits me. I am going to be inundated with eggs when the chicks come in to lay which should not be long now. Still have one hen escaping. She does like to get at the green grass! The chicks are still managing to fly out of there coop, well three or four of them on pretty much a daily basis.  I need to trim their flight feathers but that is a two person job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment