Sunday 3 July 2016

Good grief!

   I cannot believe over another week has gone by. The weather has been kind and the rain has stayed away. So lots to do, lots done!
   On the animal front sheep shearing of the ewes is well under way. Half of the woolly jumpers have been done. Some of them are proving to be a challenge! Three cockerels have been processed. Three new arrivals, three chicks for our broody Sussex! She has taken to them well and fingers crossed they will be ok.
   So what has been going on in the garden? Grass mowing, of course, beer drinking..ooops and lots and lots of transplanting and even some sowing.
   This years garlic crop has proven to be good. The bed used by the garlic has now been sown with sweet corn and haricot buerre.  Four varieties of sweet peppers have now been transplanted to outside the poly tunnel beds, some fifty plants all told. I have started to harvest the Bonnotte Noirmoutier potatoes and am starting to pick the sugar snap peas.
      In the poly tunnel Cheltenham Green Top beetroot has been transplanted from modules. I am fed up with the chickens eating the beetroot leaves so I am growing it in the poly tunnel instead.  The first lot of beetroot, grown in the poly tunnel, variety Sanguire, is now ready to harvest. The tomatoes are doing well with fruit set and swelling. I have noticed some spots of blight but I am hopeful that I will get ripe tomatoes before the blight takes hold. Cucumbers are now in flower, however, the are mostly male flowers! I am sure they will come eventually. Having written that I checked again and yes there are cucumbers!
Flowering cucumber
Violet garlic crop
   More carrots sown. I have three rows growing so far each at different stages. I am going to continue to sow more as each row germinates in the hope of getting lots of carrots!
   Of course there is more weeding to do than I can catch up with and that dratted grass which has not yet slowed up! The weather is getting better with day time temperatures now in the twenties.

No comments:

Post a Comment