Sunday 31 January 2021

Wet? Blooming soaking!

     I cannot say that I have been busy in the garden this week. One day working on the bulb bank. More stones removed, more bramble roots removed and the path at the bottom of the bank is now marked out to the end. Guess that is better than nothing! The weather has continued to be wet wet wet and the ground is well saturated. The river at the bottom of the property is well up and is just about contained further downstream. So, just to show spring is all but here the first daffidols are in flower. Its a sheltered posistion and this group are usually the first to show. Another job done, just before a likely lock down in France, I have bought seed potatoes, shallots and onion sets. Seed potatoes - Desiree (main crop), BF-15 (cross between Belle de Fontenay (a favourite of mine) and Flava)) second early and Anoe which I grew in 2019 (early). Onions Sturon (firm favourite) and Stuttgarter Risen (because I like a flat onion too!). Shallots are the firm favourite Red Sun. I have also sorted out my banana shallots grown last year and mostly not eaten. I will plant these (variety Mikor and Vigamor now of course Champeau Mikor and Champeau Vigamor but I have no idea which is which!). Few sprouts picked but still no purple sprouting athough there is plenty of promise! Chickens are starting to lay well with now an average of three to five a day. In fact I am unable to eat them quick enough! LOL!

  I am now wishing for drier weather to be able to get on with stuff. I have a big bonfire to light and plenty of preparation work to do. The weather forecast does not look good. Mild but darn it wet!

First daffidols of the year in flower
Seed potatoes onion sets shallots

No comments:

Post a Comment