Sunday 4 October 2020

Tomato report

   Well I guess I need to be grateful to have got a reasonable crop of tomatoes this year. My Champeau Jens Orange have done well, followed by Champeau Gardeners Delight, followed by Champeau Noire Crimee and then my Champeau french heritage varities (Champeau Andine Cornue, Champeau Poitron). The Champeau Noire Crimee were a little small but plenty of them. All prefixed "Champeau" because the seed was gathered from plants grown in my garden. I am still hopefull for a few more large ripe toms but it will depend on whether or not the weather stays on the warm side a for week or two yet. So far 12.5kgs of mixed tomatoes. Once more I have gathered tomato seed for next year. I have to say the tomatoes are tasting good! The last Black Mountain water melon has been picked and it is a big one! The weather has turned cold, wet and windy! It looks like I will get two butternut sqashes where I had thought I would get none due to late planting. It will soon be time to get the Giant Pacific pumpkin in but as the plant has not died yet I am leaving it. Some plants have enjoyed the cooler and wetter conditions. The swede have picked up and I am hopeful of getting something. The winter brassicas are looking good. I have even had to light the wood burner in my front room which over the last couple of years has not been lit at all! The woodman has turned up an delivered his 12 cubic metres of cut wood which I managed to move and stack this lot off my drive in record time this year. So, that means a load of wood ash next spring for the garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment