Sunday 23 August 2020

Potato report 2020 and the rest too...

   Herebe the potato report for 2020 (figures are rounded up to the nearest whole kilogram):

1st Earlies AGATA: 22kgs (1.5kg seed potatoes)

2nd Earlies DOLWEEN: 14kgs (1kg seed potatoes)

MAIN CROP DESIREE: 60kgs (5kg seed potatoes)

   So is it a good year? Bad year? Indefferent year? I think a good year but not in anyway spectactular! Looking back at last year the yield is about the same though this year my weighing has been more accurate! Lol! The Desiree potatoes having been in the ground the longest suffered from beetle grub attack and I guess a good seven or eight kilograms were spoiled by the grubs or my skewing them with my fork when lifting. Anyway just as many into storage as last year so I am not complaining.

Rainbow over Champeau
   I hear you ask "What has a rainbow to do with gardening?" "Nothing I reply. It just pretty and I was there when it happened!

   So what has happened in the past week or so? Not a lot. My main energy effort has gone into lifting the Desiree main crop potatoes, sorting and packing into hessian sacks. That task is now complete. Dug up a few carrots and the back end of the haricot verte. On the chicken front another chick has been lost this time from the middle group. Cause unknown. Mrs. Buffycross has three chicks left from six. We suspect that one of the dogs killed the other three. All five hens from the first group have now been removed to the main group with Mr. Chick. He will exhaust himself I suspect!! Lol! That leaves three cockerels which are destined for the freezer come next Tuesday. Egg production is low, two to three a day but the hens are heading into a molt.

   It is unlikely I will produce a blog over the next three weeks as I am going to the UK to visit my youngest daugter and give her a helping hand as her baby is due anytime now!






No comments:

Post a Comment