Sunday 20 September 2020

Return to warmth and drought!

    I have returned from just over two weeks in the UK. The weather here in my patch of France has been very different to what I have experienced in the north of England (wind, clould, cool, rain)! The weather here in la Creuse has remained very much hot and sunny and the garden continues to suffer. I fear for my winter vegetables (sprouts, early purple sprouting, leeks) that had had a respite just before I left of a bit of rain. They now look very sad indeed. Coming bck to publish this blog I have to report that it has rained! Not a lot but some and it has gone cooler. 

    On a brighter front my Black Mountain water melons have again provided a number of good sized fruit and they are delicious! I am now waiting for the squash plants to finally die off before harvesting a reasonable crop. The tomatoes are still giving a reasonable number of ripe fruit and some are only starting to look like they are suffering from lack of water. Finally gave up on the summer cabbage patch. I cut those that might be edible and pulled the rest and put them on the compost heap. At the end of the day I managed to get something out of them despite the weather. 

  Chickens are being chickens and a good number are in moult and egg production is well down.


Black Mountain Water Melon



No comments:

Post a Comment