Saturday 8 August 2020

Disappointment, surprise and some joy!

    I have been disappointed by my Red Sun shallot crop which is on the small size this year. Probably did not help that the chickens destroyed half a dozen sets soon after planting. Also I have had to harvest them early due to the drought. Oh well not so many pickled onions this year! Also I have been disappointed by my summer brassica crop. From looking very good in the spring they have now turned into virtually crispy cabbage with the lack of rain and the high temperatures. I may get some but I have my doubts.
   The surprise has been my cucumbers, variety Tamra and Marketmore. They have done really well outside of the poly tunnel. I was not expecting to get such a good result with them. I guess the weather has helped. Hot! Hot! Hot! Just got to keep watering!!
  The joy is with my Black Mountain water melons. They are coming along nicely and as long as I can continue to water them they should turn out well. The other joy is my Giant Pacific pumpkin and giant it is! Hopefully it will survive the drought and ripen.
  So what has been down in the heat of the day? Not a lot! I am watering the water melons, cucumbers, Giant Pacific pumpkins, lettuce and courgettes. Everything else has to take its chance and I am afraid that I will loose my winter brassicas (Early Purple sprouting, sprouts).
Picked mixed tomatoes, dug up potatoes, cut cucumbers and picked haricot vert. Need to start digging up the Desiree potatoes and dry off and store. That is going to be a labour of love! LOL!
  On the chicken front all continue to survive and the chicks (there are three lots!) are doing well. It will not be long before some head for the freezer.
   The weather continues to be hot, hot, hot with no sign of rain until next weekend if we are lucky.
Giant Pacific pumkin
Squash



Mrs Buffycross and her chicks

No comments:

Post a Comment