Saturday 7 December 2019

Damp and cold

The rising sun
   The cold mornings (there were a couple of mornings of frost) and damp weather along with the days getting shorter and boy are they shortening fast now are a big discouragement to going out and doing stuff in the garden. 22nd December is the shortest day. Anyway, despite that, I have managed to do some weeding and forking along with help of my feathered friends, the chickens who have merrily run the risk of being spiked by my fork to get a worm or two. I have cut another small cabbage left over from the summer drought and there are still a few more that are of an edible size. Plenty of leeks and a few carrots by the look of things in the ground and in storage I have onions and potatoes. Oh, must not forget the squash! Must make soup!
   For reasons only known to a chicken I am now getting five eggs a day. Usually at this time of year one expects one or two if one is lucky. I think it must be because this years chicks are coming into lay.
  So, still much to do but hey ho what gets done gets done. Next years vegetable seeds have been ordered and arrived post haste much to my pleasant surprise! Christmas is starting to take over and I need to go get a tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment