Sunday 21 July 2019

Too much of a good thing you know....

    The sun continues to shine. The ground is getting drier but there is only a little sign of stress in the vegetables. The forecast is for another week of high temperatures and I fear for the veg.
   Lots of veg being picked, pulled, dug and cut. Carrots, beetroot, haricot vert, potatoes, salad onions, onions, lettuce and at last Wautoma cucumber!
Parsnips
    The grass has stopped growing but the weeds have not, typical! My daughter and her children wanted to have a picnic by the river so I had to cut the grass there. First time this year. The river is very low.
   Will the peas do anything? I am still hopeful as there are peas showing and maybe, just maybe, the peas in the pods might swell.
   On the animal front no news from the sheep. Mr and Mrs Ixworth have been moved back to their original coop to allow the chicks at number five to be moved to a larger enclosure. I am trying to find a home for the Ixworth coq. He is too nice a bird to cull at this point in time. 
Courgette
    There are severe water restrictions at the moment and are likely to remain for the foreseeable future. Does not bode well! I still have several  butts of rain water but it is not going to last long. I have restricted my watering to the cucumbers (outside and in the poly tunnel, courgettes, melons and inside the poly tunnel tomatoes). The squash is looking good but for how long?
Ripening tomatoes

First Wautoma cucumber of 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment