Thursday 4 July 2019

CATCH UP PART 1 up to 15th June 2019

   It has been five weeks since I wrote my last blog. A lot has happened in the garden in that time so I have decided to split the update into two or maybe three separate blogs. Here is the first issue!
   Now we are into June the efforts of the previous month begin to bear fruit, well, vegetables any rate! Broad beans, lettuce, rhubarb, carrots, asparagus and first early new potatoes, variety ANOE all being picked, pulled and dug. The ANOE potatoes have been a success and I will most certainly plant them again next year. For once my Great Lakes lettuce (Iceberg type) have also been a success with the weather conditions ideal for them. The usual tasks of weeding and mowing grass took place. Gaps in the climbing yellow haricot resowed, Red swede sowed, more Touchon carrots sowed. The carrots are looking good this year too. Another lot of summer cabbage transplanted to my brassica bed so hopefully they will follow on from my initial lot which also have been very good. The first sowing of beetroot have been thinned out and a number of the thinned out plants transplanted to another bed. 
   On the animal front all ten sheep sheared. Tragedy on the chicken front. Our perdue coq Bonaparte was killed along with one generic and our Buff Orpington hen, Mrs Buffy, leaving her seven chicks orphans. Her surviving chick from her first clutch, now some twelve weeks old took on the task of looking after the chicks!. To save anymore losses all the hens are now confined and the chicks put with our incubated chicks in a secure enclosure. The large hen was placed with the main flock and is now part of that group.
  So that brings me up to the middle of June. Unfortunately I am unable to put up any pictures as I still need to sort out the mess that is my file system on my laptop! Next catch up blog soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment