Monday 6 February 2017

Moving to the starting block

   Ok here we go! The potatoes are now laid out chitting away in my dinning room. Yes, the dinning room. Why? Because it is the warmest room in the house, that is why! I  have
Seed potatoes, onions and shallots
the usual main crop, Desiree and three early varities, Belle de Fontenay (an favorite of ours) and two new ones to me Cherie and Anais.
   Over the last week the wind and rain has come and stopped me in my tracks as far as  gardening is concerned. I am now coming to the end of the Touchon carrots which this season have been exceptional. The first row of radish (18 Jour) has been sowed in the poly tunnel and no doubt tomato seed will be sowed during the next week. More seed trays in the dinning room. Following on from last years success in sowing radish in succession I am  hoping to repeat the trick this year.
   On the animal front all appear well and the chickens have come back into lay. Not all but at least we are getting some eggs. The Ixworths are laying regularly but they are small eggs! The two chicks that I obtained that survived one is a cockral, the other a hen, are now mature. The hen has laid her first egg on the 6th February. It is tiny. 
   It is quite noticable this time of year how the day is lenghtening. It does not get dark here now until seven o'clock (french time). Soon be working outside in the evening|
Chitting potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment