Monday 30 January 2017

THE RETURN!

   Well my apologies for not keeping up with my blog over the last three months. What with computer issues and illness it has been a difficult time for me. I have been receiving treatment for follicular lymphoma and I am nearing the end of the course of treatment. I have been declared in remission and boy do I know that I am well again. Energy and enthusiasm have returned. This type of cancer is slow to develop and I did not realise how much it had taken out of me over the last  year or so. Anyway lets play catch up!
   My last blog was on the 7th October 2016. That means there are a good number of weeks to catch up on but during several of those weeks nothing much had been done. Looking at the back end of October garlic was planted (which I fear has not put down roots and may have rotted), volunteer Violet potatoes dug and the tree onions sorted and planted  (which have suffered with the very cold weather but hopefully will recover as it gets warmer). The 2016 season has seen a wonderful crop of Touchon carrots. Must have done something right. I managed to grow a succession of these carrots and now at the end of January 2017 I am about to dig up the last of them. The picture is but small sample of the beautiful large,
Touchon Carrots
sweet Touchon carrots that have been pulled. At the very end of October I sowed a small quantity of broad beans which now in January 2017 are up and mostly looking good despite the cold weather.
   Moving onto November 2016 I was cutting cauliflower which were ok but not the best I have grown. In the poly tunnel the jalapeno peppers have done well and I will grown them again. The beds were cleared and top dressed. The grass, much to my horror, continued to grown well into November and with the weather being wet it was difficult to cut so the grass got left and during a more dry spell I had to cut it with the bush wacker. So ends 2016.
  Now into January 2017 the weather is cold and frosty. Parsnips, green swede, leeks and cabbage are being harvested along with the Touchon carrots. As the weather permitted beds were cleared and wheel barrows of manure put onto a couple of beds. I have even managed to start weeding in preparation for sowing the onions and shallot sets. In the front of my house an area that had been allowed to get very overgrown with brambles and self seeded plum trees has now been cleared.
   So in brief that brings me up to date. I have purchased seed potatoes (Belle de Fontenay, Anais, Desiree and Cherie. Run Sun shallot sets and Sturon onion sets have also been bought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment