Tuesday 7 June 2016

Estimated twelve inches of rain!

   The weather has just be terrible. Lots of rain. We estimated we have had at least twelve inches. As you can imagine the ground became saturated to the point that water was just running away on the surface and the beds were turning into liquid mud! To add to that we have had thunder, lightening, heavy rain and hail stones!
Rain storm and hail stones
   Despite the bad weather I have managed to get on. In the poly tunnel Great Lakes and Little Gem lettuce has been transplanted and Mammoth basil transplanted to pots and also amongst the Galina tomatoes. Wautoma cucumbers have been transplanted to one of the small beds. Kyoto Green Leaf onions has been transplanted to the end of a path as an experiment. These are Japanese bunching onions and I want to establish a colony so that I can transplant them to an outside bed. The tomatoes are now requiring to be tied onto their guide strings and it is a daily job to look for side shoots. 
   In the outside garden I have transplanted more tomatoes along with butternut squash and courgettes. There is plenty of weeding to be done! The grass what with all the rain had grown so long that I have had to mow it with the bush whacker. Least I managed to get down by the river as well. 
   The asparagus is now all but finished. I continue to pull lettuce in the poly tunnel but the radish is now also finished, least in the poly tunnel. The early new potatoes are in flower so it will not be long before I will be digging them up. Only seems five minutes since I planted them.
   On the animal front the sheep and lambs are fine. We have lost another chicken this time to a neighbours dog. Our chicken wandered into their garden and was attacked. She was used to dogs and did not expect to be attacked. Another chicken, our Sussex, has gone broody and is currently sitting on nine eggs. I do not know if there will be any chicks as our cockerel's are only little blighters and I am not sure if they are capable of completing the act!

No comments:

Post a Comment