Monday 9 May 2016

It is headless chicken mode time!

   May is always a busy month in the garden, especially here in central France. In my part of the world the last frost is in the middle of May so if you are cunning you sow your more tender plant seeds towards the end of April, beginning of May, protect them in the poly tunnel fleece cloche and all being well they will be ready a little earlier. About a week ago I sowed cucumber seed and helped by warmer weather they are already germinating. Nature is amazing except when it comes to grass!
   What has been sowed over the last week? Lots. In the poly tunnel, mostly in pots, Clementine (millefleur type) and black tomato seed, persil (flat leaf parsley), All the Year Round cauliflower, Mammoth and resowed Lemon basil, Blacktail water melon, Troubadour melon, dwarf bush courgette, Waltham butternut and Burgess buttercup squash, Blue Banana squash and Justynka pumpkin. I have also transplanted beetroot and sowed Oregon sugar snap peas in an outside bed.  Weeding and grass cutting continues without saying really!
   The threat of frost is now less but I did cover up the potatoes one day and yes there was a frost the next morning. The potatoes are now growing at a pace and soon I will not be able to cover them up except with fleece. Only a week to go to the last frost date!
   It is proving to be a good year for the asparagus. Cutting began about a week ago and already I have cut a dozen spurs with plenty more to come. At last I am able to pull lettuce from the poly tunnel and hopefully I will manage to get a succession for at least a few weeks. Of course, you know who's law will be enforced and when one really wants lettuce one will not have any! I have also transplanted lettuce to an outside bed and used my bottom cut off plastic bottles to protect them from any frost. May work, may not.
   My four "volunteer" tomato plants in the poly tunnel have been joined by eight others, four Gardeners Delight and four Ethel Watkins best. Two of the volunteers have flowers forming. Never had a tomato looking this good so early. More tomato's to plant in the poly tunnel later.
   The apple trees are a picture. They are full of blossom and fingers crossed it could be a good year for apples. Well, the grass waits for no man. It is growing as I type so I must get back to it.
Apple blossom

Apple blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment