Friday 16 October 2015

Still little done...

   The illness lingers on and I am not able to do as much as I would wish. New arrivals at Watermeadows. Two Pardoue cockerels and three Indian Runner ducks. The cockerels have been named Wellington and Bonaparte (what else?).
Wellington (light coloured) and Bonaparte)
   A week flows by and I find that I have not achieved much at all! Looking at my garden log all I read is "pulled carrots, picked tomatoes". Oh I sorted out some seeds that I had drying in the poly tunnel. Bit of grass cutting. That exhausted me. Damn bug.
  On the weather front it has got colder. There has been an air frost which has killed off the cucamelon plants and I am sure set in motion the end for most other tender plants.
 The temperature during the day is now cold enough to justify lighting the wood burner and  as I am feeling under the weather I need that comfort! Silly me tripped up while chasing chickens and landed on my side bruising my ribs. Just as I was feeling more energised.
   Over the next week the weather is staying on the dry side and getting a little warmer so I  should be able to finish cutting the grass. 
   The winter veg continue to grow although the early broccoli has been attacked by caterpillars, probably white butterfly. Most of the cabbages are looking very good.
   Nothing new in the poly tunnel other than I am now closing the doors at both ends most of the day if not all day and night. Frost threats are increasing although there is not anything in the poly tunnel that would be a great loss to frost.
   With the end of October looming the real winter starts here in La Creuse. Wonder what is in store?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment