Friday 23 October 2015

At last really feeling up to it!

One Hundredweight Pumpkins
   At long last I feel well and almost back to normal. Of course as soon as I am wiling and able to go work in the garden it rains! Half of the lawn is mowed, the other is growing away quite merrily.  Looking at my garden log what have I done? Picked the last of the tomatoes, pulled some beetroot (poor crop) and dug up a couple of celeriac. Some critter took a fancy to my celeriac this year and many have been eaten. The little devils tunnel under the plant and then eat it from the cover of their tunnel! The  tomato plants have now been frosted and now need to be cleared. I have picked sweet peppers (yes the sweet peppers outside and in the poly tunnel are still producing although I think this will be the last) and gathered up the pumpkins. The pumpkins have been a success this year despite the dry summer. My devious plan of digging out a hole, filling it with manure, covering it up and planting the pumpkin plant on top worked out well! Some 82 kg of pumpkin. One Hundredweight pumpkins came in at 17 kg, two at 16 kg and one at 13 kg. The Justkyn pumpkins are smaller and weighed around 2 kg each. At the supermarket price of two euros ninety nine a kilo that is a tidy sum. Here is hoping for drier conditions so I can try to catch up!

Justkyn Pumpkins

No comments:

Post a Comment