Tuesday 15 September 2015

Yes it rained!

  Soon as I write that is has not rained for a while, it rains. The rain is welcome and will perk up the winter vegetables I have no doubt. Still need more though.
RAIN!
   Autumn jobs are piling up. I have been unwell this last week and continue to be so. I am desperate to get outside and get on with these jobs. Along side outside jobs I need to make pickled onions and process some tomatoes and help to deal with the remaining meat chickens. Must get better soon!
   The melons have now come to an end as are the cucumbers and tomatoes. I need to clear them from the poly tunnel and plant some Christmas potatoes. It is getting a little late for those but hey ho I will give it a go.
   In the outside garden the winter vegetables (cabbage, cauliflowers,leeks) are well established. Who know if the swede will do anything. Carrots are not good despite sowing four rows over the summer. Hopefully I will get some small ones at least. Squash, melons and pumpkins are also starting to come to an end. The dip in the temperature switched their growing clock I fear.  I have some good examples of Hundredweight pumpkins this year. The celeriac continue to be attacked by little burrowing critters and I think I will be lucky to get two or three. They looked so good and I have spent a reasonable amount of effort watering them! The remaining tomatoes are struggling to ripen and it will not be long before I pick those that are turning and put them in the poly tunnel to hopefully ripen.
   In the poly tunnel the cucumber plants are now finished and need removing. The sweet pepper results will depend on how long the weather stays warm. I have had a few but the orange and chocolate ones have not liked the heat at all. Cauliflowers and the latest transplanting of lettuce is now established and they have welcome the cooler conditions. The basil is looking long in the tooth and it will not be long before it comes out. Nigel's Green chili continues to do well.
   On the animal front the sheep are fine but the grass is a little thin to say the least. The geese are getting fat despite lack of grass and I have introduced wheat in buckets of water to supplement their diet.  Still have three "meat" chickens, all hens, all looking good and happy to be without their male counterparts! It is the time of year for egg hens to be fussy. I have one hen that insists that its wants to hatch out an egg. Another is in moult and I suspect several others are too. Currently getting fiver or six a day out of eleven but if you take out the two moulting hens and the broody one I guess that is not too bad.
   I am looking forward to being well enough to get on with the garden. I have lost a week so far and likely to loose a couple more days. With the recent rain I should be able to get the garlic in. The bed is all but ready just to rake and plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment