Tuesday 22 October 2013

Wash out...

   Only a short write up this week. It feels like it has done nothing but rain over the last week or so but of course there has been the odd day or few hours where it has not rained or drizzled or been too wet to do anything in the garden. The vegetable beds are still pretty much unworkable being very wet. It makes no sense to even try. Having said that I have noticed that the garlic is up and the over winter broad beans have sprouted.
   Autumn is very much under way. The leaves are turning quite quickly now with more autumn colours showing. 
   I continue to pull carrots and pick haricot buerre, variety Minidor. The haricot have been very prolific and I have been very pleased with them. They are a dwarf variety but they are just jammed packed with beans. The grape vine has produce a lot of fruit and much more than we can eat. The chickens like the grapes and I have been surprised not to see the birds eating them more. In the poly tunnel I have transplanted in a few fennel and a couple of celery plants. The sweet peppers in the poly tunnel are still producing much to my amazement.
   Moles are a real problem this autumn. I am going to have to do something about them I think. They are making a real mess of the house lawn and I can see that I am going to have to do some serious repair work in the spring. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment