Tuesday 15 October 2013

Short days

    At this time of the year the days are short and getting shorter almost every day. It is now not light until 08:00hrs and it is dark by 07:15hrs. Add to that the miserable weather, overcast, rain, it is difficult to really achieve anything. The ground is wet and only just about workable although I am reluctant to even try. Still, plenty of other tidying up stuff do as long as I do not mind getting a little damp!
   The grass needed mowing once more and looks like it might require one more cut before I can call it a day.
   The Mare du Bois strawberries continue to produce. There are still lots of flowers but I have to get the berries as soon as they turn as the rain and slugs can beat me to it. I  have again this year planted garlic between the strawberry plants. I have read that they are companion plants and certainly it did not do any harm last year. 
   In the poly tunnel still no sign of my, ahem, Christmas potatoes. I do not think we will be getting new potatoes for Christmas somehow. I have transplanted some fennel and a couple of celery plants into the tunnel. I have also left the sweet peppers in place as I have read that in a poly tunnel they can continue to thrive until December. We will see. The last tomatoes have been removed from the poly tunnel. These were the millefleur variety which I had hope might produce a few more toms. Result was only few small green ones.  I have transplanted some salad bowl lettuce in an attempt to stretch the lettuce season a bit.
  In the outside garden it has generally been too wet to do anything on the beds. I have manage to fork and weed the odd patch but the ground is really too wet. 
2013 Sweet Peppers main crop


    

No comments:

Post a Comment