Sunday 1 August 2021

Pick, pick and yet more pick...

Haricot vert over 2kgs
      Yes it is rapidly coming to that time of year. So many different  vegetables to pull, pick and cut! Courgettes (straight and round), haricot vert (see the picture that is just one third of the weight of haricot picked this last week), carrots, tomatoes (small and large), potatoes (currently BF-15 but Desiree and Violet to come), cabbage, onions, sweet peppers, shallots (two types), lettuce and beetroot. So much stuff! I have been giving it away to the neighbors but even then there is still a large surplus. I am freezing haricot vert and I will pickle shallots and beetroot and store onions and potatoes. I also dug up the elephant garlic and I am pleased with the results. Next year should be even better. Oh, the strawberries. They too have done a lot better than I expected and I am picking a good bowlful for dessert quite regularly.

     So work in the garden has been, besides pick and cut, mowing the grass (goes without saying really), weeding (they grow faster than I can remove them!) and attempted and failed with transplaning some Red Top swede seedlings. They just did not take despite me watering. 

On the chicken front the new guys are settling in and are getting the idea of where they are supposted to roost. Guess it will be another week before I dare let them room the garden. Coops cleaned out and dead rats disposed of. Finally upto a daily average of 3 eggs a day this last week.

Elephant garlic harvest


   


No comments:

Post a Comment