Saturday 4 April 2020

Other activites....

     Other than contruction the Hugelkultur bed with the help of my grandsons, I have been busy sowing seeds in the poly tunnel. With the CORVID-19 situation it is unlikely that I will be able to get any plants from the local market. More tomato seed planted, cabbage, sprouts, lettuce, basil and french and White Lisbon spring onions sowed. I found a couple of tomato plants that I do not know what the variety is but they are strong plants so I have transplanted them within the poly tunnel with the hope that I may get some early tomatoes. They have been protected with a plastic water bottle with the bottom cut off! Nothing ventured nothing gained! I have also moved what I believe are Japanese bunching onions sowed in the poly tunnel but never harvested to an outside bed.  They may do something. I am fearful for my wonderful looking broad beans as they are suffering from rust and the daily frosts. I fear the crop will not be as heavy as I had first hoped. I have also started to dry herbs. I have dried thyme, marjoram, sage and parsley to make a jar of dried mixed herbs. More to do! 
   More purple sprouting picked with two lots frozen. Still lots of leeks to consume! The over winter onions are looking good as is the garlic. Onion sets and shallots are well established with leaves now showing well. Batavia blond lettuce in the poly tunnel is growing well and there are couple close to being ready to eat. There are some radishes but not as many as I would have normally expected. Maybe the soil was too cold? Anyway, another row sowed and have germinated! I love these 18Jour(18Day) radish.
   More grass cutting done. So the season is now well underway with probably a little more urgency than normal. Still plenty to do.


Poly tunnel seed bed
Batavia Blonde lettuce in the poly tunnel


Tomatoes in the poly tunnel fleece clouche

No comments:

Post a Comment