Saturday 11 January 2020

Where is winter?

     These are going to be words that I will regret in a week or two. Watch and see. What has happened to winter? There have been frosts and quite a bit of rain but no prolonged cold spell and the forecast is for the weather to stay mild. Still time I guess but as every day passes the chances of prolong cold get less.
BROAD BEANS ABOUT TO FLOWER
    On the 29th September 2019 I sowed broad beans. The idea was to overwinter for an early crop in 2020. Well, there is early and early! In all my years of gardening in the UK and France I have never had broad beans start to flower in January. To me it is an indication of how mild it has been. Only time will tell if I get anything from them, after all, the pollinators are not around!
    More forking and weeding on the vegetable plots. I can now see the end of it and probably just about in time! In my efforts I came across South Island salsify seedlings. Well, waste not want not. I transplanted a number to see if I can yet get a result!
    On the chicken front they continue to lay well. Ten to twelve a day. I used eight the other day to make lemon meringue pie. Guess what? The chickens laid twelve! A gain of four. Man!
     It is getting noticeable that the days are drawing out. I now put the chickens away at five o'clock and not half past four. So onwards we go towards the sowingseason. Couple more weeks and I will be sowing tomatoes!
BROAD BEANS ABOUT TO FLOWER

No comments:

Post a Comment