Thursday 17 January 2019

Up and ......

   Ok I finally feel like I am getting going! Over the last week the weather has been reasonable, that is, not too wet, not to cold, not to frosty! So, what have I got done? Well I have started to tackle the poly tunnel and I have sown some early peas and some 18Jour (18day) radish!. Outside I have sown a small number of broad beans. More as an experiment that anything. It is really too early or too late depending from which end of the season you look at it. Anyway if I do not try... As long as the ground does not freeze or it pours with rain I will be out there over the next week getting some plots ready for onions, shallots and potatoes. By the end of next week I fully expect onions, shallots and seed potatoes to be in the shops!
   Garlic, broad beans, onions all doing nicely. Chickens destroyed the early purple sprouting. Really my fault as I did not repair the hole in the netting quickly enough. 
   On the animal front the Ixworths are laying and I am putting the eggs to one side. We intend to try to incubate them and raise them either for the freezer if coqs or to increase the flock if hens! The other chickens are laying well and the sheep..well are being sheep.
   So on I go. Spring is around the corner. Unfortunately for me the worst of the winter is yet to come! February and March tend to be the worst winter months. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment