Thursday 10 January 2019

A new season begins

   Well,  yes a new season does begin. What have I done? Nothing. Oops. I cannot even blame the weather. Yes, been damp but not impossible to garden and yes it has been on the cold side but again not that cold. Must be getting old.
   So that is Christmas and New Year over and done with once more. It has been a good Christmas with just about the right amount of food and to honest to much to drink although if you looked at the collection of bottles for recycling you would not think so.
    Winter vegetables this year have been a complete disaster. No leeks, no cabbage, no carrots, no swede, chicken devastated early purple sprouting, very few sprouts and only a few parsnips. Must do better! It is time to turn to thinking of getting those early radishes sown in the poly tunnel and maybe some peas? Umm. I have some beetroot in the tunnel that looks good so I am hopeful for early beetroot. Outside the poly tunnel there are good looking broad beans, about an inch or so high. I reckon that is perfect for this time of year. My experiment with over winter onions is looking  good with all the sets having grown leaves. The garlic looks good but I suspect it will be a mediocre crop. So I am set up well I guess. Another couple of weeks and it will be onion, shallot and potato purchasing time. How the year flies.
Growing garlic

Over winter onions

Broad beans

Devastated purple sprouting

No comments:

Post a Comment