Tuesday 29 May 2018

Its all looking good....

   For a plant or seed the weather has been perfect. Warm and damp with a day of sun and then a day of showers. Perfect growing conditions which, of course, includes the grass and the weeds!
    Lettuce has been pulled on a regular basis. These Batavia Blonde from the local market really do the job and provide a continuous supply of nice crunchy lettuce. I will soon be pulling Jack Ice lettuce from the poly tunnel and they next lot are growing away in a seed tray.  I have prepared the bed for and planted out pumpkins, winter and butternut squash. With the weather as it has been they have settled in beautifully. In the poly tunnel the bed was prepared for the cucumbers and Marketmore and Germana cucumbers transplanted. I have wautoma cucumbers to go outside but I need to get their bed ready and the rain is stopping me! Haricot Bolotti plants have been transplanted to an outside bed. This is the first time I have grown haricot in modules in the poly tunnel. A reasonable success but I think the seed is getting old. This has been the same for the haricot buerre too. I have bought new haricot vert seed and have planted up modules in the poly tunnel with the thought of succession sowing in mind. This week also saw the picking of the first cherries of the season. Not that the season lasts long in my garden because as soon as the birds get an eye on them....whoosh! They are gone. Off course there is that usual chore...cutting the grass! Unfortunately for me my mower and brush cutter are now both broken for one reason or another. My English neighbours were down for the bank holiday week and very kindly lent me their mower which did the job brilliantly.
Tomatoes in the foreground, potatoes as you look away
   On the animal front it is pretty quiet.The last of the sheep we wished to go have not gone and we have a core now of eight ewes and two rams. The ducks are being ducks and I suspect enjoying the rain. The chickens are laying well. Our buff Orpington hen has been moved to the main flock as she was being badly abused by the Ixworth coq.
   So on we go into the growing season. Plenty to do as always. Just need there to be a little less rain to give me the chance to get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment