Sunday 7 August 2016

Well, it did for one day....

     Did what I hear you ask? It rained. Yes, it rained, well, steady drizzle for a number of hours and a bit of a down pour over night. Cooled off the weather a bit but did little to affect the garden.
   The main function of the week was to plant out 170 winter leek plants. I would like to say that I grew them but no, they were bought from the local market. Tomatoes (increasingly), cucumbers, beetroot, potatoes and courgettes are being picked, cut and dug. The bed of Bonnette Nourmoutier  has now been completely dug up and I have started on the Belle de Fontenay bed. With the continued hot and dry weather I am endeavouring to dig up the main crop potatoes, Desiree. As they are they are dry and the skins are firm, good for storage. Hopefully I will have them all  up in a few days. The first jalapeno pepper in the poly tunnel has been sighted!
    On the animal front a battered and somewhat de-feathered cockerel appeared in the garden one evening. I fed him but he has seemingly gone away. We believe he belonged to the people at the top of our road. I did not see him in the morning.
   It is very hard to know what to do in this hot and dry weather. The ground is dry and hard to work, even digging up potatoes is hard! I guess I should be attacking the overground bushes and hedgerows. Oh well.
Sweet Bantam sweet corn


No comments:

Post a Comment