Monday 22 August 2016

Its tipping over!

   The weather has turned from hot to what I would describe as normal late August weather and the sense of autumn is in the air. Cool, but warm. Nice. Anyway still very little rain so that means the chore of watering takes over from grass cutting. The grass still being brown and not growing at all.
Jalapeno peppers
   In the poly tunnel there has been an invasion of chickens. My fault. I left the barrier open. But still the little so in so's destroyed my newly transplanted bed of beetroot and had a good go at eating my lettuce! Man. Wautoma cucumbers are now at an end and the Chrystal Apple will not be far behind. The outside, La Diva cucumbers, are also at an end. I am picking tomatoes enough to eat but I do not think there will be much of a surplus, to much blight. I need to disinfect the tunnel and I have the stuff to it! Job for the autumn. 
   In the outside garden the sweet corn has been attacked and not the chickens this time. The cobs are too high for them. I suspect rats. Carrots, courgettes, potatoes and melons are all being harvested. The squash is looking  good and the poor old winter leeks are just sitting there hoping for rain. As the instruction said on the packed I have sown sown over winter onion on the 18th August. I wait to see what happens. Apparently by sowing the 18th August you give the onion seed chance to germinate in the warm soil but you are giving it a long growing season so in theory one should get bigger onions! Yeah right! Believe it when I see it. Looks like I will get some autumn carrots as at last I have managed to get some more to germinate.
   On the animal front the chicks are now six weeks old and we need to consider introducing them to the main flock. The sheep are being sheep and the ducks being ducks. Lets hope for a bit of rain, not too much but some is really needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment