Friday 25 March 2016

Time for something different.

Sprouting shallot

Propagating sweet potato
  I spoke to soon! No sooner had I written that the onions and shallots were not showing any signs of sprouting up they pop!
  My early crop of Little Gem lettuce that I am growing in the poly tunnel  under a cloche is having varied success. One or two have not taken and one or two have been munched! I have replace them.
  Just to amuse myself I am trying to grow sweet potato this year. The photo is on one tuber cut in half and suspended by cocktail sticks in a jam jar of water. I have placed the jars above my wood stove where it is warm so fingers crossed! It should be possible to grow them although they may only produce small tubers. Time will tell.
  This spring I have decided to create a new rhubarb bed. I will move a root from the old bed in the hope that it will transplant. I have some rhubarb seed to sow. It will be amusing to see if they grow. I have also decided to move the asparagus from the poly tunnel to the outside bed. This will fill in some gaps in the outside bed and give me back space in the poly tunnel. While moving them I found that one had started to sprout!
    On the animal front my brother in laws' Indian runner ducks have produced an egg. First one. It is also that time of year to 
Indian Runner duck egg
 start off the meat chickens. Five white meat chickens bought along with two cuckoo moran birds, hopefully both hens to add to the egg laying flock. 
  More seed sowing done. Beetroot, lettuce and a several varieties of cabbage. 
  I demolished the bonfire pile only to find a mouse in the middle of it. It must have thought is nice and warm when the fire was going!
  As I come to the end of this blog the weather has changed from sunny to drizzle. I need more dry days!

No comments:

Post a Comment