Friday 8 January 2016

Funny ole winter.

Flowering comfrey 311215

   Happy New Year!

   Generally up to now it has been a mild winter with only a few days when it has been really cold. Yes, there have been a good number of frosts and the early morning temperatures have been below zero on occasion but the sun has shone and the weather has varied between mild to warm. The photograph was taken on the 31st December 2015. I have never seen comfrey in flower in December let alone at the end of the month. When will winter really strike I wonder? Now (08/01/16) it is raining and it is a persistent shower with the occasional heavy burst of rain and there is standing water about the place.
   In the poly tunnel I have sown peas and two types of early onions. The onions are a salad type and can be sown at this time of year. I guess I am taking a chance but hey if you do not you never know if you can succeed. In the outside garden the garlic is thriving and the winter cabbage and the leeks are doing fine as well. The ground as I write this is once more at the saturated stage and there are puddles of water on some of the beds. 
   Experience has show that early January is too soon to sow seeds like tomatoes and onions. You watch this year I will regret not having sown them. So what is to be done? Not a lot when the ground is so wet and it is impossible to do anything outside of the poly tunnel. Having said that I have a pear tree that I want to move before the workmen move in to prepare for the new fosse septique. Cannot do that though if it is raining! There are still tree onions in an outside bed and they are now looking dormant. They will need to be dug up and separated before replanting in February. The tunnel is as prepared as I can make it. Compost has been spread on the beds and I water them now and then to keep them moist and encourage the worms to do their work. I await the showing of the peas and spring onions!
   Looking forward a little to the end of January beginning of February when it will be the time to look out for onion sets, shallots and seed potato and the season will be really getting underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment