Sunday 8 November 2015

Life gets in the way.

   Well despite my good intentions life gets in the way. Too many jobs to do and not enough time to do them.
   In the poly tunnel the sweet peppers are now dropping leaves which means it has got too cold for them. There is still one or two to pick but the end is nigh. The cauliflower is now bigger than a tennis ball and looking good. In the outside garden I have continued to clear tomato plants and put the poles away in the, for want of a better description, potting shed. All of the tomatoes are now cleared as are the haricot vert. Several beds are now weeded and forked over. Come spring, no doubt, the weeds will have reappeared. I have shortened two of the beds that had a small area under the shade of the oak tree. After a couple of years of trying to grow stuff in these areas I have called it a day. Too much shade and the oak tree is taking too much out of the ground, water and nutrients. The garlic continues to grow.  I have been picking up some windfall apples but have failed miserably to pick any reasonable number from my own older trees. Shame really but the Jerusalem artichokes are benefiting from rotting apples and the chickens have been getting easy access to them too. 
   In the animal world the last the meat chickens have been processed. They were all hens and came in at a good weight - 3.75kg, 3.5kg and 3.5kig. It looks like leaving them a couple more weeks after dispatching the cockerels has allowed them to put on a decent weight.
  To add to my burden the trees have been dropping their leaves and there is now a carpet of them on the lawn. One more job to add to the list.
  To my mind, unusually, there is a borage plant in flower in November. Do not believe I have seen that before!
   The 100 weight pumpkins I grew were cheerfully carved in Halloween lanterns and made a good display on the front of my daughters house.
Borage in flower

Cauliflower in the poly tunnel 


Display outside No 5

No comments:

Post a Comment