Tuesday 9 June 2015

Sun glasses are on!

   My ten plus years old PC is unhappy. This means for the time being I am unable to load pictures to my blog.
   The sun has stayed around and there have been some hot days. I have even started to garden early in the morning giving up by eleven o,clock it has been so warm.
    Lots being done in the outside garden. Great Lake lettuce, water melons, sunflowers, early leeks, sweet corn, more tomatoes and sweet peppers transplanted and of course grass mowing. I have sowed a row of Touchon carrots and I have learned that carrot seed need to be kept moist to germinate, so more watering to do!
      Three varieties of basil (lemon, sweet Genoese and mammoth) transplanted in the poly tunnel and there are some tomatoes the size of moth balls! The Wautoma cucumbers have settled in well and are starting to throw out tentacles. The jack and the bean stalk peas, now up to the roof in the poly tunnel have had the first picking taken. 
        It is only June yet already I am thinking of winter crops. I have sowed purple sprouting again this year in hope of greater success than in previous years. I have also sown some winter cabbage, Piacenza, a savoy type, from the Real Seed Catalog. The prolonged dry spell is not helping with getting the beetroot and parsnips going. I fear this year will be a bad year for my parsnips. It will soon be time to dig up the first potatoes. The Charlotte ones have flowers out and I eagerly await the first sign that the flowers are going over.
        So it is a busy time. The hay has been cut and bailed so summer is moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment