Saturday 24 January 2015

Its the lull before the storm...

    Well here are heading into the last week of January. Seed potatoes are in the garden centre and the brico (builders merchant come garden centre). This coming week I will need to decide what potatoes I am going to plant this season. After last seasons considerable success with Desiree, Rosebelle and Belle de Fontenay my strategy is going to change to growing first earlies and a larger main crop, probably Charlotte and Desiree. I will have to see what there is on the shelves! I do like to grow a heritage variety even if its only a small number.
   I find is interesting to look back to last year and see what I wrote. On January 20th last year I had germinated onions and there was snow on the ground. Not so this year, although the onion seed has been sown into modules and are at this time sitting on my dinning room floor!
   So what has been going on over the last week? Not a lot. The weather continues to be cold and wet with frost most mornings. Anything done in the garden? Nope, not a jot. 
   What else then? I can report that our chickens are excelling themselves this month and have to date produced 162 eggs up to 15th January! I would have thought January would have been a poor month for egg laying. 
   Hopefully the weather might dry up a little and I might get something outside done. In the mean time it is hunker down by the fire time, make some hot chocolate and continue to plan out the garden plots.


No comments:

Post a Comment