Monday 6 October 2014

Autumn bites.............

   It finally rained! After a week or so of fine sunny days with a little cloud the weather broke and it got cooler and it rained. The rain was very welcome and will keep the plants albeit slowly, growing on. 
   I am starting to find lots of tomato plants popping up! I guess that shows how warm it has been. These plants are from tomato's that got dug in or had been missed when clearing them. I have gathered some up but of course as soon as soon as there is a frost they will be done for. Looking back over the last week I have not seemed to have done much. Some weeding and forking and I have picked and cleared the last of the Gigante runner beans and laid them out in my porch to dry. In the poly tunnel I have removed the last of the African marigolds and forked and manured the ground. I have sown in the poly tunnel coriander, petit pois and some radish. My Christmas potatoes continue to grow well and I need to watch out for the possibility of frost. Peppers and lettuce are still being picked/pulled!
   There is still plenty of clearing up to do and of course there is the regular tasks of clearing out the chicken and turkey/geese coops. I am considering planting some broad beans but they are not the most popular of vegetable with the family. If I do I will not sow the field beans again as a crop to eat. They had shown promise and in the end were a disappointment. Back to an old favourite Aquadulce. I have done some research on field beans and they can be used as a green manure. So, I have a use for the seed I have!
Justynka pumpkin

 Walthham butternut squash

No comments:

Post a Comment