Wednesday 2 July 2014

   I have been away for a couple of weeks. The garden on my return has required some urgent attention! Mowing the grass was a priority.
   The first potatoes were dug up on the 12th June, variety Belle de Fontenay. If these few plants I dug up are an example of what is to come then the this crop should be very good. The field beans (broad beans to you and me) showed a lot of promise. In the end although not disappointing the crop was not as large as I hoped and the beans were small. I do not mind small broad beans but it was not what I was expecting. In place of the field beans Burgess buttercup squash has been planted. Buttercup squash is supposed to be the creme da la creme of squash. We will see. Three water melon plants (Sugar Baby) have been transplanted and so now the chore of watering twice a day or more begins! If all the varieties of  melons do something I should be in for a decent crop. Those are "famous last words". I continue to try to collect my own seed and I have gathered some Kohl Rabi seed. My parsnips have not produced any worthwhile seed! Oskar peas that were left over have also been gathered for seed and are drying along with the Latvian soup peas in my porch. I am hopeful of some cabbage seed but aphids are taking their toil. I have picked strawberries, a reasonable amount but only one lot! A little disappointing but this was from a bed of plants that were planted a year ago so I am hopeful with my new bed planted out this year that next year will be a better crop.
   Harvest had begun in earnest. Belle de Fontenay and Rosebelle potatoes have been dug, lettuce and cabbage cut, peas picked. 
   In the poly tunnel the "long" radish were a complete failure so more ordinary radish have been sown - Pernot Claire and De 18 Jours race Velox both of which I have grown before successfully (oh, there are those famous last words again).
 
Geese and Turkeys
 It looks like the chickens are finally coming into lay with a regular five eggs a day being laid. Our two "Rouge" hens are now laying nice chocolate coloured eggs.  On June 30th the total number of eggs laid since January 1st was 1000!  About time too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment