Wednesday 11 June 2014

Here one day gone the next

   In my last blog I said I had started to pick the cherries. Well, I picked them and we ate them and now they are gone, all within ten days! Damaged cherries, even slightly bruised ones, will go bad very quickly so its eat eat eat while they are still good. The chickens enjoyed eating the ones that I threw down while up the tree.
Second picking of cherries
   In the outside garden all is grow grow grow. The weather has been good with some hot sunny days. The ground is still quite damp an inch or so down so warm damp soil, hot sunny days equals lots of growth. I have transplanted red cabbage having managed to find a space in the cabbage plot. The tomatoes required side shoots being removed and tying up. More tomatoes are setting. Oskar peas are now being picked. There is still lots of cabbage! Last week I said that the haricots were not looking very promising but I am pleased to say that more have germinated and now look a reasonable number of plants.
Melon beds have been prepared and the main melon bed planted with Petit Gris De Renne. The potatoes are in flower which must mean they are all but ready to start digging up. 
   A really big job done this week was to wash the outside of the poly tunnel. With the farmers churning up the soil and there being a lot of pollen the outside was getting very dirty. Took most of a very hot day to do and I renewed my tan! Within the poly tunnel I have transplanted Prescott Round Blanc melon as an experiment to see how melons do in the poly tunnel. Lemon and Mammoth basil has been also transplanted. I have made up a real Heath Robinson affair to support the Wautoma cucumbers. 
  My white sage cuttings were unsuccessful and I suspect that the poly tunnel was too hot. I have take a couple more cuttings and I will try to get them to take by having them on a window sill in the house.
   This years turkey's and geese have arrived and are settling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment