Saturday 15 March 2014

Sun! Wonderful SUN...

   Finally a good number of days without rain. The ground is drying out slowly. Downside of having clear sunny days is early morning ground frost. So far not severe. The other down side is the grass! Its growing as you look at it. I have started mowing. Seems like only yesterday that I was mowing grass. My red onion sets and shallots have leaves and my narcissi bank is looking a picture of bright yellow. A real delight. 
Narcissi bank bed
No flowers yet on the field beans! In the poly tunnel my peas have flowers and pea pods forming! Shame that there are not that many. 
Garden view from the Narcissi bed
   I have finally got round to sorting out the grape vine growing up the back of the barn reattaching vine and pruning the dead wood. The two peach trees that are there now have open blossom. 
   In the poly tunnel I have sowed a small row of radish and in modules some Brussels sprouts. Here we go again! Once more I am trying to grow sprouts. I have sowed Latvian pea soup peas in modules and a dwarf variety called Oskar in a full size seed tray. This is to try to beat the mice and birds by germinating the peas in the relative safety of the poly tunnel! This worked quite well last year for the early peas.  I have made the first sowing of carrots outside putting them under a cloche to try to aid germination as really the soil is still a little cold for seed. I have started to tidy up the perennial beds at least by re-establishing the edges. These plants are amazing at how much they grow every year.
   I am continuing to split wood down by the river but there is not a lot left to do. There are a few piles of split logs to bring up to the wood hanger usually one barrow full a day. It is a fair ole haul from the river bank to the wood hanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment