Thursday 6 March 2014

Darn grass!

   It is only a matter of days now and I will start mowing the grass once more. It is looking very green and it is most definitely growing. Pooh!
   I have spent a lot of time over the last week down at the river bank splitting  logs. Our wood pile is all but depleted and we have at least six to eight weeks before once can stop lighting the wood burners. As it is I am  going to have to buy another three chords. Whatever is left will be a start for this autumn.
Growing split wood pile
   In the poly tunnel I have transplanted 100 Roma tomato seedlings to pots and placed them in a fleece cloche. Other germinated seedlings in the poly tunnel are Moss Curled parsley, early Louvier and Golden Primo cabbage. I have transplanted some Little Gem lettuce and there a few peas in flower! The coriander is still looking good as are the winter leaves. The Kohl Rabi is now past its best. My early potatoes are hanging in there!
   Up at the  house I have Ethel Watkins Best tomato's up, both my own gathered seed which is very pleasing and bought seed. I also have cauliflowers, aubergines, tree onions, a few Spanish onions and  celeriac all growing away.
   In the vegetable plots I have just planted Jerusalem artichokes. I have once again started to fork the beds but in all honesty in parts the soil is just too wet. I have spring onions germinated under a cloche and every day you can see the rhubarb increasing in size.
  Here in la Creuse we have hit a sunny period and it looks good for a few days. Hopefully that will be enough time to dry out and warm up the soil. I now need to look to see what to sow next in modules, seed trays or pots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment