Wednesday 29 January 2014

Wet, wet, wet

   Nothing like a winter bonfire. I have now managed to burn all the wood pruned from the apple tree and some. I have started to clear the house garden and I am building up yet another bonfire! Man! In my bank border, if one can call it a border, one crocus has managed to flower and more and more narcissus are showing. I went looking for snow drops on the road ditch bank and they are about half an inch high. 
Bonfire
The last couple of weeks have been very quiet on the gardening front. More often than not too wet to do anything meaningful outside. In the poly tunnel my "Christmas" potatoes are  growing well and I am still just about able to cover them up with soil. They are also protected by fleece. Hopefully that will be enough as long as there is not a sequence of severe frosts. The pace will quicken now that January is coming to end. Onion, tomato, lettuce, sweet pepper and aubergine seed have been sown and are sat on my dinning room floor, keeping warm. The onions sown at the start of January are now well on their way. I need to go and get my seed potatoes. I like to plant a small crop of an unusual potato so I will be on the lookout for a heritage variety.
   The last of the oak leaves are now safely packed away under a tarpaulin. For once I beat the chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment