Sunday 5 September 2021

Time to start fighting the hedges....

     A good week. The usual tasks of weeding and grass mowing done. The magificant 7 (this years batch of chicks) have found one of my lettuce patches, pushed their way through the netting and managed to reduce the lettuce plants to stumps! Plenty of produce picked, cut and pulled! Cauliflower (only one so far!), carrots, tomatoes, 5 Dessert melons, strawberries (over 5kgs picked so far), haricot vert, courgettes and cabbage. I decided to mow the paddocks before the grass got too long. In one it is and I will have to think again on how to reduce it! It is time to start attacking the overgrown hedges and trees. Plenty of it to do and no doubt it will be a job I will be doing throughout the winter. While admiring my butternut squash patch I came across two (one quite large) Crown Prince squash. A very pleasent surprise as I had not planted out any Crown Prince plants to my knowledge! The strawberry bed after picking 1.450kg of strawberries was weeded and mulched. There are still lots of strawberries to come. Fingers crossed the weather holds up for while. The tomato plants in the poly tunnel continue to give, Jens Orange and Noir Crimea being the most prolific.

   Egg production is stuck at an average of 1.3 eggs a day, just like last week. When there guys do decide to lay again I think I will be overwhelmed with eggs.


Poly tunnel tomatoes

Crown Prince squash


No comments:

Post a Comment