Sunday 25 April 2021

And now the sun...

   I love the change of seasons in La Creuse, central France. Fresh, cool, sunny in April. Warmth in the air, everything starting to grow and the odd frost just to remind one it is only April!

   It has been another busy week! Tomatoes (Champ Auroa bush, Champ Gardeners Delight) transplanted to pots, more sweet pepper seed sown in a propagator box. I have had to resown brussel sprout and cauliflower seed after a poor germination of first sowing. Not surprising really. One takes a chance sowing early. The cabbages I bought from the market last week I have now uncovered from their plastic bottle clouche and covered with bird netting to stop the chickens from devouring them. First rhubarb of the season pulled (one pulls rhubarb not cut) and the first rhubarb crumble made and consumed...yum! Mixed basil seed sown in a propagor box as those in the poly tunnel are not showing any signs of germinating. Germination in the poly tunnel has been poor so far. Probably just a little on the cold side I guess.  I have started to remove the over winter early purple sprouting as it is now going to flower. Time to think of what to plant in its place. I gave in and bought two packets of Golden Bantam sweet corn seed and sowed them in modules in the poly tunnel. I was not going to plant sweet corn this year but I was in the local agricultural shop and just could not resist. I hope I get to the corn before the chickens this year!

  The chickens are being chickens and I have had one day where every hen laid (11 eggs!).

  Of course the usual chore this time of year which I must admit is made a lot easier and much more fun with my ride on mower, mow grass! 



The egg pile grows


No comments:

Post a Comment