Tuesday 23 April 2019

And now the rewards start

   The first lettuce have been pulled from the poly tunnel. That's lettuce and radish now being harvested. Potatoes are showing and I am running around covering them up as fast as they push themselves above the soil. Frost is still a retreating threat up until the middle of May! More weeding done. It never ends to be honest!  Bit like the grass mowing at this time of year. I have joined up three of my small beds and sowed cosmos, woad and marigolds with a thought to encouraging pollinating insects. Part of the bed has an established population of comfrey used for making liquid fertilizer. It will be nice to have some flowers. While preparing the bed for the squash plants I came across "volunteer" Violet potatoes planted some two years ago. I have now moved them to their own bed in hope of getting a boiling or two. More tomatoes transplanted to pots and from thinking I will not have enough tomato plants this year I will have at least fifty with more to come so I am content! More lettuce sown although experience tells me that growing lettuce after May is not very successful. It tends to be too hot! I have sown sweet corn in modules with a thought to planting up a bed with the plants and also seed to hopefully get a bit of a succession. First row of Sanquine beet sown and I noticed that my transplanted parsnip seedlings have taken. All in all a busy week and still plenty to do! Oh yes, there was grass mowing too!
   On the animal front nothing happening with the sheep. Mrs Buffy (Buff Orpington hen) has decided to go broody again and I will need to keep an eye on her chick. The chick is six weeks old and should be ok. We have some eggs given to us by a friend in an incubator and one has hatched with another not making it and it would seem one more about to hatch. Hopefully we will get a few chicks.
Eagerly awaited broad beans



No comments:

Post a Comment