Thursday 15 November 2018

Normality? Well almost.

   There has been a decent rainfall. I noticed from the garlic that has been yanked up by some bird or another that they are putting roots down. Amazing how a little warmth and moisture and away plants  go! To date it has been a mild November. Temperatures have reached the upper teens and down to around six centigrade overnight. That means  stuff keeps growing. I do not usually say this but I am pleased that the grass has greened up and it putting on some  growth. According to the weather forecast it will all end next week with temperatures in the low teens in the day and below freezing overnight. Oh well what can one expect for November?
   Much to my surprise I have picked another large handful of Champeau Gardeners Delight from the poly tunnel plants. Surely that must be the end of them? I have planted out some small onions that really were too small to eat. I have never over wintered onions other than the Egyptian walking onions so it will be interesting to see what happens. I am not holding my breath! Much to my delight when in my local agricultural dealer I found broad beans! I have bought a packed and I have sowed  a good number to over winter. Hopefully broad beans in the spring! I have finally got round to picking what grapes are left which I must say were more than I expected. The birds must have better pickings! Not really knowing what to do with them I have washed and frozen them. Still do not know what to do with them but hey ho think of something no doubt. Finally removed some lettuce from the poly tunnel. They were a complete failure, to hot, no growth, finally did nothing! Also removed the last of the basil and brought a couple of barrows of well rotted chicken manure in.
    Nothing much to report on the animal front. The hens are on strike. Now down to two eggs a day from ten hens. A couple are in moult but I think it is the short amount of daylight that is affecting them more than anything.
    Still plenty of jobs to do. One I really must do this winter and before Christmas is prune my apple trees. They really do need a good sort out.

Material waiting to be burnt



No comments:

Post a Comment