Wednesday 5 April 2017

The pace quickens even more.

   What can I say? The pace in the garden just gets faster and faster at this time of year. The grass almost needs cutting twice a week! 
   In the poly tunnel I am pulling lettuce and radish as required. So far demand has not outstripped supply! It will at some point I am sure. Yet more radish sown.  I have sown a row of cauliflower seed given to me by my youngest grand daughter Evie. They are white and purple, yes purple, cauliflower. Should be interesting!. As an unusual sowing I have sown woad and have plans to make a woad bed next to my comfrey. The last of the over winter beetroot has been dug up and cooked. Tomato plants in pots are growing happily in the poly tunnel fleece along with Brussels Spouts, summer cabbage, spring onions, beetroot and white sage! Up in the house I have various varieties of sweet pepper and a couple of chilies growing slowly but surely.
   In the outside garden the potatoes are starting to show. I now need to go round the beds each day and cover up with soil any that pop up their heads. I have sown a main crop pea,variety Ambassador and I was disappointed to find that I did not  have any sugar snap peas! Need to find some quick! First lot of lettuce planted outside and covered with a cloche. I am still forking and weeding but there is less than there was!
  On the animal side the main chicken coop and duck coops have been cleaned out. The duck pond has been emptied and refilled and made just as dirty by the ducks by the time I had left the paddock! The sheep are being sheep and it will soon be time to sing the sheep shearing song again.


Row of Ambassador peas


No comments:

Post a Comment