Monday 13 March 2017

Oh my!

   That time of year is creeping up on me. Given a little bit of warmth and everything starts to grow. I sowed some Brussels Sprouts seed, a birthday present from my youngest grand daughter Evie and they germinated in two days! Two days! I ask you. Since the photo was taken many more have come up.
Evesham Special Brussels Sprout
  It is all go go go. The poly tunnel fleece is up and there are already seventy transplanted tomato plants in there plus a host of other sown seeds.
  A big disappointment has been my garlic (Violet Brut). There is no sign of it growing at all. The only garlic I have are bulbs that were not dug up last autumn. These I have transplanted to one bed in the hope of getting a few bulbs!
  Forking and weeding continue. This last week there was a gale. This caused the the top of the fir tree outside the front of the house to snap off. Fortunately no one hurt and very little damage to property. Luckily the whole tree did not come down and what did missed the telephone line.
Result of high wind
  So what has been sown? Moving on from tomatoes and sprouts I have now sown Basque chili, Nigel's Green Outdoor Chili, Orange bell, Wisconsin Lakes, Mini Bell sweet peppers, Jalapeno pepper, Thyme de Provence (never had much success with thyme from seed. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!) De Barbentane aubergine, Golden Acre and Precoce de Louvier cabbage, Cheltenham Green Top beetroot, Jaune De Poitou leeks, Red Salad bowl lettuce and Giant Prague celeriac.
  Harvesting in the poly tunnel continues with over wintered lettuce and beetroot both acceptably edible. In the outside garden there are leeks, Jerusalem artichokes, parsnips and green top swede. The parsnips need to be eaten soon as they are starting to  grown again.
  The chickens in there wisdom have taken a fancy to my broad beans and I have had to resow a lot of them. Annoying as they looked really good. 
  On the animal front we lost three chickens to some critter that just bit their heads off. They were replaced by three rescue hens but  unfortunately one of them died. The high wind caused the lid of new duck coop to fly off and I have now repaired it. I have also replaced the duck pond (a children's paddling pool) with the last children's paddling pool we have. The ducks were ecstatic!
  So onward with plenty to do. Soon be time for planting the early potatoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment