Thursday 4 February 2016

Old friend is on its last forks....

Damaged fork
New and old forks
         When I moved to France over five years ago I had to buy a new garden fork. The one I found had flattened blades unlike my original fork which had pointed blades. The new fork was a hit and became a favourite garden tool. Well this tool is now at the end of its life. The metal work holding the wooden handle has split and the wooden handle itself has cracked. It is only a matter of time before it fails completely. So I bought a new one. I had to go to three shops to find one similar to my old one but I did manage to get a garden fork with flat blades. I think the true use of this type of fork is to dig up potatoes. Now I do not have to worry that my old fork will give out at a vital moment!
Chitting potatoes
Crocus patch
 Out and about the garden the first signs of spring are to be seen. Daffodils in a sheltered spot are now flowering and my main bed of daffs will soon be in flower. 
Daffodil patch
Another sign that spring is going to be early this year is the rosemary. I have a rosemary plant in full bloom. Apparently it is not supposed to flower until spring or through summer. This plant is well and truly confused.
  The potatoes in the picture are already showing signs of sprouting. Guess my dinning room must be warm!
With this generally mild weather I have taken a chance and sown my tomato seeds along and some Sturon onions seed. I was not going to sow onions seeds this year but hey ho there they were in the seed box. All have been placed in the poly tunnel fleece cloche.
   In preparation for the septic tank work in the house garden I have moved an old pear tree which a few years ago looked like it was on its last legs, however, the tree has shown signs of making a recovery and it even produced a couple of edible pears last autumn so I thought I would make the effort to try to save it.
  There is still produce in the garden. Turnip-swede (had one mashed with carrot, very nice!), cabbage (big as footballs!), leeks and purple sprouting.
   I need the ground to dry out a little so that I can prepare the ground for the tree onions. It is still a little early for onion sets and shallots but the tree onions over winter well and it pays to get them separated and planted as soon as I can. The old rhubarb plant is showing signs of growth and that reminds me that I need to prepare the bed for the new rhubarb that I am going to try to grow from seed. 
  Plenty of tidying up jobs to do and I need to get on with it! LOL!


Sheltered daffs in flower

1 comment:

  1. Great work. I like your blog. Keep continuing to write a blog more like this. I mentioned here best garden fork to buy, i hope it helps to all.

    ReplyDelete